Reporting abuse can be very difficult, if you have either been abused or are being abused now, there is help and support available.
If you have been affected by abuse, however long ago, we want to help. On this page you will find:
The Rochester Diocesan Safeguarding Team is committed to supporting victims and survivors of abuse. Please contact us so that we can help you.
Greg Barry- Lead Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Caroline Smith - Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Anthony Glockling - Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
We know we need to listen to victims and survivors of abuse and we are grateful to all those who have engaged with us to ensure we are always improving the support we offer.
If there is something you think that is missing from this page, a service we should be signposting to, or something we could do to better support victims and survivors, please contact us on one of the details above - thank you.
The following is a list of some of the key organisations you can approach for support:
Safe Space - A free and independent support service, providing a confidential, personal and safe space for anyone who has been abused through their relationship with either the Church of England, the Catholic Church of England and Wales or the Church in Wales.
- Tel: 0300 303 1056
Provides support to both women and men who have been sexually abused, as children or adults, by ministers, clergy or others under the guise of the Church.
- Tel: 08088 010340
A national organisation offering support and counselling for those affected by rape and sexual abuse.
- Helpline 0808 802 9999
Provides support to adults who have been abused in any way as children.
- Tel: 0808 801 0331
Child Protection Helpline - phone if you are worried about a child.
- Tel: 0808 800 5000 (lines are free and open 24 hours)
Phone if you are a child or young person, and are worried about anything.
- Tel: 0800 1111 (lines are free and open 24 hours)
Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Tel: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours)
Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Tel: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours)
A national umbrella agency for 130 specialist organisations in the UK that offer support to people who have experienced sexual violence, sexual assault or sexual abuse. It has a free, confidential helpline.
- Tel: 0808 801 0818
- The Survivors Trust
Here are details of some websites and blogs which have been established by victims and survivors of abuse.
- House of Survivors - This is an information-based site for Survivors of Church of England-based abuse and Safeguarding employees within the Church of England. Please be aware that a disclaimer on this site warns that it contains some distressing content. Please exercise self-care. Should you need support, please visit one of the services listed on the website or use the Quick Exit button available on the site itself.
- Survivors Voices - Survivors Voices is a survivor-led organisation that harnesses the expertise of people affected by abuse in order to transform society’s response to trauma and abuse. They state that they are ‘experts by experience’, survivors of all types of abuse, experienced as a child or as an adult, 'turning our pain into the power to create something good.'
- Surviving Church - A blog aiming to offer support to those who have been through negative church experiences of various kinds. Edited by Stephen Parsons, it seeks to offer commentary, insight, as well as challenge, to church leaders for their past and present failures in protecting the abused.
As a Safeguarding Team, we endeavour to provide the highest level of professional service and support as possible.
However, if you are concerned about any safeguarding practice or service you have seen or received either from the team, a church, or another part of the Diocesan support structure, please do contact us.
If you do not feel comfortable raising it with the team directly, you can approach the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisory Panel, an independent panel chaired by Dr Liza Thompson - DSAPChair@rochester.anglican.org
For more information about the Panel please visit the Governance and Synods page.
Lead Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Get in touch
Safeguarding TrainerGet in touch