Grants and funding

Grants and funding

 A number of grants are available to allow clergy to continue with their ongoing development as well other aspects of their clergy life.

On this page, we give information about the grants that the Diocese is able to pay to support clergy

First appointments grants
Removal costs and expenses
Resettlement grants
Continuing Ministerial Development Grants
Links to external funding

The Diocese will make a grant of 10% of the National Minimum Stipend to clergy taking up a first appointment to a living or to a post of similar status and to those taking up their first appointment after ordination. The current amount available can be obtained from the Diocesan Office.
Read more
The grant may be used to cover such things as the cost of:
Domestic goods (eg carpets and curtains) intended to replace items used at the old residence which are not suitable for use in the new residence;
Ecclesiastical robes;
Books for use in the conduct of services 
The First Appointment Grant will normally be paid automatically following your Institution or the date of commencement of duties. An advance of up to £800 can be made for the purchase of robes, upon a request being made in writing to the Diocesan Office (email is acceptable).
The Diocese is responsible for the cost of clergy removals (ie "the van") on taking up a full-time stipendiary post within the Diocese and the removal will be carried out in accordance with the corporate contract arranged by the DBF. The contract includes a full packing service.
Read more
Under the terms of the Diocese’s contract with the removal company, garden furniture and shed contents are not included within the cost of moves if they take the volume over the capacity of one van. Any unusual requests will be referred to the Diocese for agreement. The contractor will undertake the dismantling/reassembly of beds and desks, but other items would be chargeable to you directly. The removal contractor will not ask you to pay any deposit for packing materials. Your goods need to be insured whilst in transit and your own contents policy may cover this. Please let us know if it does not, as the Diocese can arrange insurance through the EIG.
The Diocese will make a grant of up to 10% of the National Minimum Stipend to a stipendiary person towards the cost of any necessary alterations to or purchases of furnishings and other expenses incidental to the removal, i.e. towards the cost of domestic goods intended to replace items used at the old residence which are not suitable for use in the new residence.
Read more
This usually covers carpets and curtains, but could also cover, for example, kitchen equipment or furniture (eg a free-standing wardrobe which replaced a fitted one). The reimbursement of any of these costs is subject to receipts being provided to confirm the expenditure actually incurred. Therefore Resettlement Grant payments are paid after invoices or estimates have been submitted to the Diocesan Office. This can be done in the weeks leading up to your move; scanned/emailed copies of receipts are acceptable.


Continuing Ministerial Development Grants

All licensed clergy can apply for a personal CMD grant. Grants are made available to support ministerial development review (MDR) outcomes.

What can be applied for
Requests in the region of £100 – £200 will be considered by the Director of Formation & Ministry. Grants are given for approved courses, conferences and other formation, training and development. However, CMD grants are not available for deanery residential retreats, personal retreats, or for the purchase of books, equipment, etc.
Further, enhanced grants are available for longer courses of study, training and personal and ministerial development, including further degrees. This is as a result of an MDR target. Normally this will be up to £500, in consultation with the Director of Formation & Ministry
What is not covered
Stipendiary and Self-Supporting Ministers in IME 4-7 Phase 2 do not share in the entitlement of a Personal CMD Grant. Other clergy may submit applications for consideration, but payment is discretionary and cannot be guaranteed. You may apply for further assistance from your Archdeacon who may consult with the Director of Formation & Ministry.
The grant represents the actual fee and does not include travel. Travel expenses should normally be claimed as part of parish working expenses. You are encouraged to discuss what you will do with those who support your ministry, including churchwardens/PCCs etc as appropriate.
Application forms
Clergy - Personal CMD Grant application form. Please send to:
Licensed Lay Minister - CMD grant application form. Please send to:
How grants are paid

Personal Grants can be issued in two ways: -

1) via your bank account
2) by direct deduction from your personal CMD allowance for fees associated with events organised by the Diocese of Rochester.

Retrospective payments are not possible: an application should be received, and payment agreed, before the event you are attending.

Evaluation reports

You are asked to send in a brief evaluative report as soon as possible after the event you have attended. As well as a brief description of the event itself], some comments on the learning and value you have derived should be included. If the CMD grant was awarded as an outcome of your MDR this must be reported in your next MDR. CMD grant Reports are requested for two reasons: -

  • Firstly, the writing of a report can help to focus your own reflections and consolidate the learning.
  • Secondly, these reports help those responsible for CMD to know what events, venues, etc. clergy are finding valuable and useful.

An evaluation sheet is provided by the Formation & Ministry Team for you to use if you prefer. This can be downloaded from the diocesan website and sent by email to

Course Report Form 2019-2021


Links to external grants

The Churches Mutual Credit Union (CMCU) - is now offering car loans. Many providers offer loans details of which can be found online. 
Clergy Support Trust provides support to Anglican clergy (serving and retired) and ordinands, and their families, in the UK & Ireland.